About The Sutherland Hospital
The Sutherland Hospital and Community Health Service is located in the Sutherland Shire ("the Shire"), approximately a half hour drive south of Sydney, in the suburb of Caringbah.
The Shire covers 370 square kilometres with a population of 216,000 and is bordered by coastal surf beaches, two rivers and a national park. The hospital is a short walk from Caringbah train station and shopping centre to the east and a ten minutes walk to Miranda train station and Westfield Miranda Shopping Centre to the west.
The Sutherland Hospital, established in 1958, is a major metropolitan hospital and an associated teaching hospital of the University of NSW.
A comprehensive range of surgical, medical, child, youth and family, aged care, rehabilitation, mental health services and community services are provided to the residents of the Sutherland Shire.
The Sutherland Hospital was a visionary concept when it was first proposed in 1942. During the following 16 years the community consolidated, lobbied the government and raised the required funds.
Construction of the Shire's Major Acute Care Public Hospital finally took shape, being situated on a high point of the peninsula. On the 29th April 1950 AJ Williams turned the first sod for the new hospital. It was not until the 5th September 1955 that the foundation stone of the hospital was laid by the then Premier of NSW, JJ Cahill MLA. The foundation stone of the Nurses Home was laid by Andrew Gray, Chairman of the Board, on the 5th September 1955.
In 1958, the Sutherland Hospital officially opened its doors to the local community. The first patient was admitted at 9:30am on the 21st April 1958 and the first baby born in the Maternity Ward on the 22nd April 1958. What brought the Sutherland Hospital to life was the conviction of its community, and the tradition continues today with 98 percent of its patients living in the local Shire.
From its inception the hospital's motto has been "Endeavour to Serve".