Becoming skilled in Health Coaching
What is health coaching?
Health coaching is 'A person-centred appraoach to goal-setting, active learning and self-management that guides, empowers and helps the individual connect to their own motivation to change their behaviour' (SESLHD).
Click here to hear about health coaching from a Coaching for Better Health Outcomes creator and facilitator.
What are the benefits of Health Coaching?
The benefits of health coaching are improved patient & client relationships, improved health and lifestyle outcomes, improved patient and client satisfaction and increases in goal attainment. Those who develop coaching skills can experience increased self awareness, more effective conversations and increased job satisfaction through solution focused thinking working to their strengths.
Click here to hear a Clinicians experience of using health coaching in their practice.
SESLHD provides a comprehensive program, including a two day foundational workshop, to facilitate the development of understanding health coaching principles, theory and application for health professionals, both clinical and non-clinical.
Workshops are held monthly in a variety of locations and group partipants are welcome from all areas of health.
The program includes:
- Theory supporting health coaching
- The physchology of change
- Hope theory and strengths
- The GROW model
- Practical sessions, support and supervision from skilled facilitators
Completion of the Coaching for Better Health Outcomes program provides 20 hours to Continuing Professional Development.
Whilst participants are able to develop coaching skills, they are not accredited in coaching.
SESLHD Coaching for Better Health Outcomes Program
- Recommended completion prior to workshop: TeachBack e-learning module. A free public e-learning module developed by SESLHD and Deakin University to increase the awareness of health literacy in communications http://teachback.org/
- Recommended small amount of reading prior to workshop
- 2 x full day workshops (2 weeks apart)
- 3 x 1 hour practice sessions (coaching triads) monthly post workshop
- Short reflective writing submission
- Ongoing support provided via the SESLHD Centre for Coaching
Completion of the full program contributes 20 study hours of continuing professional development