Social Work The Sutherland Hospital
How We Can Help You
Our Social Work team is available to support you whether you are a patient or a family member, friend or carer. We offer emotional and practical help with any issues or concerns that may arise from an illness or being in hospital. This includes:
- Changes related to an illness or disability
- Supporting you if you have a life limiting illness
- Anxiety about your hospital stay and support for your family while you are in hospital
- Offer support in times of stress, distress
- Coping with loss, grief and trauma
- Planning for when you leave hospital
- Accessing Respite or Permanent Residential Aged Care
- Providing information about services and other community resources: including psychological support, aged care support services, Centrelink, Housing NSW, NDIS, Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS)
- We can also provide you with information about other agencies and services.
We also provide a service to outpatients who attend the Oncology Day Clinic, the Pre-Admission Clinic (planned surgery) and the Antenatal Clinic.
If you wish to speak with a Social Worker, please contact the ward or clinic via hospital switch (02 9540 7111) to ask for a referral. If you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander you may want to speak with our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer (AHLO).
Interpreters and sign language interpreter services can be organised if you require.
- My Aged Care
- Carer Gateway
- Planning Ahead (Wills, Power of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship, Advance Care Planning)
- Youth Services
- Sutherland Shire Community Support Services Directory
- Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme
- Legal Aid Health Justice Partnership