Resources- Admission to Garrawarra

Administration buildinhg.jpgFor Admission information, to organise respite and a tour of the facility, please contact the site on (02) 8545 4700.

We acknolwedge that moving into Residential Aged Care can be a very daunting experience, we have skilled staff to be able to assist you in navigating this.

Step 1- Before you move into a Residential Aged Care facility you will need to be assssed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) which are based at your local hospital or community centre and you can get a referral from your doctor for an assessment.

Step 2- Find a facility, since this will be your next home, it is important to locate a facility that provides you the best care and support to meet your needs. It is best to visit the facility and speak with the staff to see that you feel comfortable about the services that they offer.

Step 3- Arrange your finances. Although the Government provides for some of the cost of aged care in Australia. You should apply for an income and asset assessment by Centrelink to determine if you may need to contribute to the cost of your care as this is dependant on your financial situation.

Step 4- A pre admission interview and risk assessment will be conducted by our highly trained Nurse Consultant to ensure that the facility is equipped to meet your specific needs.

Step 5- Sign the Agreement and move in. The Agreement is a legal document that highlights the services that the facility provides, any fees that are charged as well as your rights and responsibilities.

Costs and Payments in Residential Aged Care

There are three different types of fees for Residential Aged Care these are:

a) Basic daily fee- this is generally set at around 85% of the annual basic age pension and are recalculated by the Department of Human Services twice each year.

b) Means- Tested care fee- this is  an additional contribution towards the cost of your care and determined by Centrelink. This is not a fixed cost and will fluctuate depending on your income, assets and costs of care.

c) Accommodation Payment- depending on your income and assets you may be required to pay an accommodation payment. This payment can be paid as either:

  • lump sum payment- known as a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) which is an refunded once you leave the facility.
  • rental type payment known as a daily accommodation payment (DAP) that is a periodic payment based on a daily interest date.
  • Combination of both RAD and DAP payments

The exact amount that you will need to pay is determined by an Income and Asset Assessment that is concucted by Centrelink. After you move in, you will still have another 28 days to decide which payment option is right for you. Its recommended that you seek independent advice before you decide.

Pets and Family.

Your pets and family are welcome to visit you and be part of the community. It is important the you stay in touch with your family and we work hard to involve your family and firends in our community with special events and newsletter communicate. Although pets cant live in the facility we would love for them to visit.

What happens if my care needs change?

We will continue to work with you to reassess your needs and provide you with a personalised care plan in consultation with yourself, your Family carer, GP and Care professionals. When your needs change, we will be there to education and support your family to cater for your indivdiualised needs and care journey. Most importantly you and your family have choice and control over the care services that you need.