Paediatrics Clinical Stream
South Eastern Sydney Local Health District Paediatric Stream works across the district to support the delivery of high quality, effective and safe healthcare services for children and young people and their families to improve health and wellbeing.
The stream provides networked paediatric services to children and young people 0 to 16 years in both acute, outpatient and community services. This includes St George Hospital (SGH), The Sutherland Hospital (TSH) as well as community services within Population and Community Health (PACH). The stream also intersects with Sydney Children’s Hospital (Randwick) who provide some services within the South Eastern Sydney geographical location.
The primary objective of the Paediatric Stream is to provide excellence in paediatric care using evidence-based approaches and research with a focus on early intervention, equity of access and priority populations.
Inpatient Paediatric wards (at Sutherland and St George Hospitals)
Inpatient Special Care Nurseries for newborn babies (at Sutherland and St George Hospitals)
|Ambulatory Care for Children in CARS clinic
|Universal Care for 0 - 5 years and targeted programs for vulnerable populations
|Developmental and Community Paediatrics
|Violence, abuse and neglect response including medical forensics
|Placed based initiatives
- Identify opportunities for integration between services to improve access for priority populations including Aboriginal and new and emerging CALD populations
- Implementing the NSW First 2000 Days Framework that outlines the importance of the first 2000 days in a child’s life (from conception to age 5 years) and the actions people within the NSW health system need to take to ensure all children have the best possible start in life
- Provide guidance and support across the district within a safety and quality framework for the provision of paediatric medicine and surgery at site specific levels utilising the Paediatric Services Capability Framework
- Ensure quality, planning, delivery and monitoring of local paediatric services
- Leadership role across the district for the Henry Review Implementation Plan following translation of the recommendations into actions and outcomes
- Implementing the Integrated Prevention and Response to Violence, Abuse and Neglect Framework (IPARVAN) in relation to children and families, with a particular focus on medical forensics
- Support the transition process to ensure seamless continuity of care as young people move from paediatric to adult health services.