Pregnancy is a very exciting time for you and your loved ones and we look forward to sharing this journey with you. We are the world's longest running provider of antenatal care and have been providing outstanding care for over 100 years.
Please complete the ONLINE BOOKING FORM when you are 6 or more weeks pregnant (no confirmation email will be received). We aim to contact you within 2-3 weeks. Please answer 'No caller ID'.
- Once you complete the online booking form, we will contact you within 2-3 weeks. Please answer No caller ID calls.
- If you have not heard from us in 4 weeks, call the Antenatal Outpatients Department on 9382 6048, or leave a voicemail on 9382 6206 and we will call you back.
- Your hospital booking appointment will usually be when you are about 14 weeks pregnant.
- Before this first appointment please ensure you have visited your general practitioner to:
- Have your pregnancy confirmed.
- Get a referral letter to the hospital.
- You have had routine blood tests performed.
- Discussed genetic screening options.
- Please bring all the above to your first appointment at the hospital.
Whilst most women have pregnancies that are straightforward and low risk we have a range of options for your pregnancy care that cater for all women and their individual pregnancies.
Royal Hospital for Women promotes normal birth. The Hospital is accredited as a Baby Friendly Hospital committed to the promotion of the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
We believe that pregnancy and birth are normal life events. Through the care we provide at Royal Hospital for Women we aim to promote a nurturing environment for women and their families focussing on healthy, positive experiences throughout pregnancy, birth and the early parenting journey. Each pregnancy is a unique experience and we are committed to providing care that is tailored to your individual needs.
RHW offers various models of care, yoga classes and education programs:
- Midwives Clinic and GP Shared Care (GPSC)
- Maternity Antenatal Postnatal Service (MAPS)
- Midwifery Group Practice (MGP)
- Private Obstetricians
- Malabar Midwives Midwifery Group Practice (MGP)
- Medical Disorders in Pregnancy and High Risk Obstetric Clinics - Referral Required
- Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Specialised Care / Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)
- Twins Clinic - Referral Required
- Breech Clinic - Referral Required
- Preterm Birth Prevention Clinic - Referral Required
- Childbirth, Parenthood and Women’s Health Programs
The Royal Hospital for Women (RHW) Health Education Centre offers a range of programs to support women and their partners as they prepare for childbirth and parenting, as well as educational programs for girls.
Visit the Childbirth, Parenthood and Women's Health Programs page for or a complete list of classes.
Antenatal Inpatient Services offers antenatal care for women requiring obstetric care and postnatal care for mothers and babies.
The most common reasons a pregnant woman may need to be hospitalised are:
- High blood pressure, including pre-eclampsia
- Rupture of the membranes, well before the due date
- Threatened premature labour
- Women requiring an Induction of Labour; this process is begun on the Antenatal Ward
- Women who have experienced pregnancy loss may also be admitted to this ward for postnatal care.
Specialised Care / Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM)
- The Department of Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) provides an integrated multidisciplinary service for women experiencing a “high risk” pregnancy.
For more information, see the Antenatal Inpatient Services page.
Our team includes highly experienced midwives and doctors committed to providing a space that is welcoming and supportive for you and your family. We are committed to providing woman-centred care and the promotion of physiological birth.
Women come to the Maternity Assessment Unit & Birth Unit for a number of reasons including:
- Assessment and management of pregnancy concerns after 20 weeks gestation
- Labour and Birth Care
- Women who have birthed in the past 14 days, and require further medical care
For more information click https://www.seslhd.health.nsw.gov.au/royal-hospital-for-women/services-…
We have a fabulous team that care about your journey into parenthood. We are respectful of your choices and our aim is to educate and support you during your stay. We work collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to achieve a smooth transition into the Fourth Trimester: Parenthood.
For more information, see Postnatal and Newborn Care.
Free parking is available for up to 3 hours when you come to RHW for your antenatal and ultrasound appointments.
Bring your car parking ticket and completed yellow antenatal card to the Information Desk near LifeGrain café for validation and you can the exit the car park for free.