Respiratory and Sleep Medicine Department
The Sutherland Hospital Respiratory and Sleep Medicine Department comprises of a team of medical, nursing, allied health and administrative staff who are dedicated to supporting people in the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of acute and chronic respiratory and sleep problems including
- Asthma and allergy
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Sleep disordered breathing and obstructive sleep apnoea
- Respiratory failure
- Occupational dust diseases
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pleural diseases
Our inpatient ward, Warada (meaning Waratah) is equipped to care for patients with airborne infectious diseases, and those requiring non-invasive ventilatory support (e.g. high flow nasal oxygen humidifiers) used for the treatment of severe respiratory failure.
Our service also has a community focused “Respiratory Coordinated Care Program” (RCCP) providing care to very unwell inpatients in the home as well as ongoing support and supervision of chronic respiratory disease patients.
We have a dedicated Respiratory Lung Function Laboratory performing outpatient lung function testing, skin allergen testing and functional assessments such as waking or exercise oximetry and breathing tests.
Interventional pulmonology procedures are available for outpatient and inpatient bronchoscopy, Endobronchial Ultrasound Guided TransBronchial Biopsies (EBUS-TBNA), Medical Pleuroscopy and Bronchial Thermoplasty.
Our service also provides outpatient clinics that cover General Respiratory Medicine, Pulmonary fibrosis, Chronic Respiratory Failure and General Sleep Medicine, Pleural diseases, Respiratory Supportive Care Program for breathlessness and severe chronic lung diseases.
Clinical and Research Areas
Associate Professor Benjamin Kwan -
Head of Department
|Pleural Disease Clinic||Thursday|
|Dr Con Archis, Senior Staff Specialist||
|Dr Andrew Ng, Senior Staff Specialist||
|Dr Vicky Chang, Staff Specialist||
|Dr Chin Goh, Staff Specialist||General Respiratory||Monday AM|
|Dr Clarissa Susanto, Staff Specialist||General Respiratory/ ILD Fortnightly||Tuesday AM|
|Dr Adelle Jee, Staff Specialist||
|Dr Teresa Louie, Honorary Medial Officer||
|Dr Greg Katsoulotos, Honorary Medical Officer|
|Dr Corinna Pan, Honorary Medical Officer|
|Dr James DiMichiel, Honorary Medical Officer|
|Dr Michael Han, Honorary Medical Officer|
|Dr Kang Lim, Honorary Medical Officer|
|Dr Johnathan Man|
|Clinic Name||Clinic Days||Time|
|Asthma Clinic||4th Monday of the Month||09.00-11.30|
Patients residing in the Sutherland shire LGA with
- General Respiratory
- Chronic Respiratory Failure
- General Sleep conditions or who require Interventional bronchology procedures
The process for referring a patient is:
- GP/referrer to send through referral via fax to 9540 8067. Access Referral Form Here
- The referral will be checked to ensure it is valid, if not extra information will be sourced from the referrer;
- If valid the referral will be triaged by clinic doctor;
- Appointment made as per doctor’s recommendation
- Patient notified by confirmation letter as well as a text or call 1 week prior to appointment.
A valid referral requires:
- Written by a medical practitioner in a private practice or an SMO;
- Addressed to a named Doctor within the clinic
- Signed and dated by referring practitioner and include their Provider Number and place of practice
- Include length of referral, unless it is a 12 month referral
- Patient to have signed financial consent form
Research and the development of new treatments and model of care is a core focus of the Department and includes investigator driven trials and multi-centres randomised controlled trial (RCT) in
COPD, pleural diseases, Asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, respiratory supportive care, technology in medicine, smoking cessation
We are always looking for patients who would be happy to participate in clinical trials. Please contact Mr William Lin (insert email address hyperlink) if you are interested in participating.
A/Professor Ben Kwan
Cancelling an Appointment
If you need to change or cancel your appointment please telephone 02 9540 7067
Is there a waiting list?
Waiting list details
All referrals are prioritised and allocated according to criteria.
Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak, and then ask the interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and us on 9540 7067