How We Can Help You
Our Social Work team is available to offer support to patients, family members, carers, and friends. We offer emotional and practical assistance with any issues or concerns that may arise from being in hospital. This includes, but it not limited to:
- Changes related to a new or existing injury, illness, or disability
- Offer support to you and your family if you are anxious or stressed about your hospital stay
- Coping with loss, grief, and trauma
- Planning for when you leave hospital
- Accessing Respite or Permanent Residential Aged Care
- Providing information about services and other community resources including: psychological support, aged care support services, Centrelink, Housing NSW, NDIS, Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS), as well as other agencies and services
We also provide an outpatient service to the following clinics:
- Oncology Day Clinic
- Pre-Admission Clinic (Peritonectomy)
- Antenatal Clinic
- Renal Clinics – Renal Supportive Care and Haemodialysis
- Rose Cottage Day Rehab
- Sexual Health
If you wish to speak with a Social Worker, please contact the Social Work Department and ask to speak to the Social Worker for the ward or clinic where you or your loved one is admitted.
If you identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, you may want to speak with our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer (AHLO).
Interpreters and sign language interpreter services can be organised if required.
02 9113 2494
02 9113 2206
8.00am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
We provide a limited weekend service and an after-hours crisis on-call service. If you need our help outside the times listed above, then please speak with your nurse or doctor.
How to find us
Social Work Department, Level 4, Pritchard Wing, St George Hospital, Gray St, Kogarah (Building 34 on the campus map)
Head of Department
- My Aged Care
- Carer Gateway
- Planning Ahead (Wills, Power of Attorney, Enduring Guardianship, Advance Care Planning)
- Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme
- Legal Aid Health Justice Partnership