Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Services
How we can help you
We have a range of services that help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their families to stay healthy. If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person or family member you can access all of our general services plus the services below.
Aboriginal Health Workers
Our Aboriginal Health Workers can help you understand ways to manage your health care. They can organise and take you to your appointments. They can also speak with your doctors and go to appointments with you to offer support.
Our Aboriginal Health Workers can talk with you about other services that may assist you. They can help you make contact with these services.
Our Aboriginal Health Workers also provide healthy lifestyle and social support programs including land and water based exercise classes, Yarn Up and a program to help you stop smoking.
You can see an Aboriginal Health Worker at the Aboriginal Community Health Centre at La Perouse or they can visit you in your own home.
You can contact our Aboriginal Health Workers on: 02 9382 8348, 02 9382 8355 or 02 9382 2922.
La Perouse Aboriginal Community Health Centre
Our La Perouse Aboriginal Community Health Centre provides services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their families. Prince of Wales Hospital and other health services provide clinics at the Centre where you can see specialist Doctors and allied health staff. The services provided include:
- Endocrinology - For if you have problems with your hormones e.g. Diabetes.
- Cardiology - For problems with your heart or blood vessels.
- Respiratory - For problems with your lungs, airways and blood vessels that help you breathe.
- Geriatrics - If you are an older Aboriginal person, this clinic helps with preventing and treating disease and disability.
- Podiatry - For problems with your feet, ankles or lower limbs.
- Eye clinic - If you have problems with your eyes.
- Oral Health Services - For problems with your teeth, gums and your mouth and face that allows you to smile, speak or chew.
- Midwife Service - Supports pregnant women in their health care.
- Early Childhood Services - Carries out health checks for young children and provide information on parenting.
- Children’s Services - For children under the age of 16 years.
- Mental Health Services - Helps if you are experiencing problems with how you are feeling, thinking, behaving or interacting with others. Mental illnesses are of different types and severity. E.g. depression and anxiety.
- Drug and Alcohol Services - Supports you if you have addiction to alcohol or other drugs.
The Centre at La Perouse is open from Monday to Friday. To make an appointment or you can contact the Centre directly on 02 8347 4800 or alternatively you can contact one of the AHW to make you an appointment.