Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Service
We recognise the significance of caregivers in promoting the well-being of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and offering support. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their caregivers have the opportunity to engage with Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers, who can offer assistance and guidance in navigating the healthcare system. These officers frequently serve as advocates, helping bridge communication gaps in clinical settings and addressing both health-related and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural concerns for patients and their caregivers.
We welcome all people requiring care and their families, carers and friends to our hospital.
We ask all people coming to our hospital ‘Are you living as or known as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in your community?’ If you answer yes, we will contact Marni, our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer (AHLO) and let her know you are here.
Coming to hospital can be a difficult time. Marni is available to have a yarn if you are finding it difficult being away from your home and family, if you are dealing with sorry business or feel a bit lonely or anxious.
Marni is part of our Social Work team and is available to provide you the following support:
- Provide you with and your family with emotional, social and cultural support
- Advocate and liaise with other staff on your behalf
- Provide information about hospital services
- Provide information on your rights and responsibilities
- Organise referrals to other services (eg Aboriginal, Legal, Child Care Protection)
- Help you get financial assistance if you need it (eg pensions, benefits, IPTAAS (Isolated Patient’s Travel and Accommodation Scheme))
- Help you with finding accommodation if you are travelling to Sydney from the country
- Help you to fill in an application for housing
- Organise nursing, hospice or respite care if you need it
- Organise for you to get help if you need it when you get home. This includes help with housework, shopping, meals on wheels or any equipment you might need.