RHW Breast Centre
The New South Wales Women's Breast Centre at the Royal Hospital for Women provides state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment of breast conditions.
The Centre cares for more than 1500 women a year and aims to provide seamless care for each one.
- As one of the leading breast services in NSW, the Centre offers a convenient one-stop service for women who need investigation of a breast symptom.
- All of the diagnostic and assessment services are usually available in one visit and a return visit may be required for final results.
- A professional team of staff including radiologists, radiographers, surgeons, breast physicians, psychologists, genetic counsellors, oncologists and nurses will support you throughout your care.
- The Centre provides diagnostic radiology services for women. Women with a breast symptom, history of breast cancer or a significant family history of breast cancer can be referred by a specialist for an appointment on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Centre offers a state-of-the-art mammotome biopsy unit which allows breast tissue to be sampled using local anaesthetic without surgery. The sample can detect the very early signs of cancer.
- Needle biopsies and pre-operative localisation procedures are commonly performed in the Centre.
- The Centre also offers a Breast Assessment Clinic every Wednesday, the one-stop-service for women of all ages who need investigation of a breast symptom. A referral from a general practitioner (GP) is required.
- Assessment involves a combination of diagnostic, ultrasound and biopsy. Clinical assessment will involve a thorough breast examination with either a breast surgeon or physician. These doctors will supervise your treatment and where appropriate will discuss results, diagnosis and further treatment options with you.
- The Centre conducts diagnostic radiology every Monday and Friday and runs the breast assessment clinic each Wednesday.
- The service is available by doctor referral only.
- Bookings can be made from Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:00pm, telephone 02 9382 6610.
- The Centre does not provide screening mammograms.
- All services are bulk billed and available to women of all ages.