Older Persons' Mental Health Inpatient Unit - The Euroa Ward
The Euroa Ward is a six bed older persons' mental health inpatient unit situated in the Euroa Centre at the Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick.
Prince of Wales Hospital
Randwick NSW 2031
Enter Prince of Wales Hospital through Gate 6 on Avoca Street (opposite Soudan Street).
The entrance to the ward is on Nurses Drive.
Patients with mobility problems can be dropped off at the front of the ward, however vehicles must be parked in the public hospital parking station, entrance from Barker Street, or on street parking.
NURSING STAFF ARE AVAILABLE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE REGARDING INPATIENT SERVICES
- Ward enquiries - (02) 9382 3797
- Ward fax - (02) 9382 3451
Monday to Friday: 15:00pm - 20:00pm
Weekends and Public Holidays: 10:00am - 20:00pm
Please discuss any special requirements regarding visiting hours with the Nurse Unit Manager (NUM).
- Medicare card
- Evidence of current Health Insurance membership
- Pension card
- Veteran's Affairs card or other entitlement card
- Any current x-rays
- Medication or tablets which you are currently taking
Note: after your doctor has checked your medication and tablets, we suggest you give them to a relative to take home.
During your hospital stay, the hospital will provide you with your medication ordered by your hospital doctor.
We recommended you leave valuables at home and that all items of clothing and other belongings be marked with your name.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes for daily wear
- Pyjamas or nightgown, dressing gown and slippers
- Walking stick/frame/walker
- Spectacles and reading material
- Hearing aid
- A small amount of money for purchases such as newspaper, magazines (less than $20.) Larger amounts of money cannot be kept on the ward and will be sent to the Cashier's Office for safe keeping. You will be given a copy of the receipt and your money can be collected when you are discharged
Note: Smoking is only permitted at designated areas within the Prince of Wales Hospital campus.
The Diversional Therapist runs several individual and group programs on the ward:
- Music therapy
- Painting and craft
- Gentle exercise
- Make up and grooming
- Outings and excursions
- A BBQ lunch every Thursday
All patients are encouraged to have meals in dining area.
- Breakfast: 8:00am
- Lunch: 12 noon
- Dinner: 17:00pm
Hot and cold drinks, fruit and snacks are available all day under nursing supervision.
Note: If your require a special meal (soft, vegetarian, kosher, diabetic, etc) please advise the nursing staff.
WARD ROUNDS / CASE REVIEWS: The nursing staff will let you when your doctor will be seeing you.
FAMILY MEETINGS: The Social Worker will contact family and carers.
- Laundry available for use 8:00am to 20:00pm
- Communal fridge and microwave
- DVD player
- Ward selection of books and magazines
All rooms are single rooms; one with an ensuite.
Nursing staff will allocate rooms according to your needs.
We encourage patients to make their own beds in keeping with the aim of maintaining independence.
Note: We discourage food being kept in bedroom unless permitted by the nurse on duty. (Fruit, chocolates and wrapped sweets are permitted.)