Exercise and Social Support
Walking Group and Stepping On Program
Walking group is 11.30 am Hyde Park Tuesday and Thursday Corner of Oxford and College St. All included to both days!
Stepping On Program specifically tailored for our clients runs at least once a year. Dates will be confirmed.
Next program will run in second half of 2019 – one in Surry Hills and one in St George area
The HIV Outreach Team can support clients to access the WAVES program.
The group takes place in the hydrotherapy pool at Prince of Wales Hospital. Clients are graded according to their ability. Leaders are registered exercise professionals. Classes take place in a supportive environment.
Classes are available every Monday during the school term and are 45 minutes long. There are four terms a year. An Occupational Therapist and a Nurse coordinate the group. Exercising in water has many benefits that include:
- Water supports the weight of the body and reduces jarring of joints.
- The massage action of the water is beneficial to circulation.
- It is a fun way of keeping fit and improving your health.
- It is particularly beneficial for people who suffer from arthritis, osteoporosis, back problems, are overweight and for those who find it difficult to exercise on land.
- Research show that water exercise is useful to help prevent falls.
For further information please phone the HIV Outreach Team on 02 9382 8666.