Telehealth allows healthcare providers, patients and carers to access and manage care virtually using technology.
What is telehealth?
Telehealth consultations provide patients with a consultation through video or telephone instead of face to face.
It uses the transmission of images, voice and data between two or more sites using telecommunications to provide health services, such as clinical advice, consultation, education, and training services. There are three ways telehealth is used in our hospitals:
- Video Consultations
- Phone Consultations
- Remote Monitoring - monitoring patient health and clinical information at a distance
Benefits of telehealth include:
- Improved access to healthcare, i.e. greater equity
- Reduced travel, expense and time away from home
- Reduced waiting times supporting faster diagnosis and appropriate treatment
- Improved continuity and quality of care
- Local treatment from a known healthcare provider, under specialist supervision
- Increased opportunity to contact your healthcare provider between face-to-face consults.