Aged Care Assessment Team

Are you considering moving into a residential care facility or need respite care?

To be able to receive short term (respite) or permanent care in an aged care facility you need to be seen by our Aged Care Assessment Team.

The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is a group of health workers who can come to your home or visit you in hospital.

An ACAT assessment is free and our health worker will see if you are eligible to receive Government-subsidised aged care services. If you are eligible to receive care at an aged care facility the ACAT worker can help you to arrange this.

The ACAT team can work closely with your doctor, family and friends to make sure that you get the help you need.

Your opinions are always listened to and considered, and you will never be forced to make any decisions about your future during your assessment.

For more information about residential aged care or respite please go to MyAgedCare.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak and then ask the interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and the healthcare professional you want to speak with.

Handbook for family and friends of patients admitted to Aged Care Wards is an Australian Government website and national phone line (1800 200 422) with up-to-date information about Australia’s aged care system and services. It assists people to navigate the aged care system and provides referrals for assessment and service provision

The Aged Care Information Line provides information on home and community care and financial benefits. Telephone 1800 500 853 TTY 1800 555 677