Neurointervention and Neurovascular Clinic - Information for Health Professionals
We provide specialist neurointervention and neurovascular services in our outpatient clinic. Our patients may have:
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Ischaemic stroke and steno-occlusive disease
- Head, Neck, Brain and Spine vascular malformations, including arteriovenous malformations, dural fistula and carotid cavernous fistula
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension and venous sinus stenosis
- Chronic subdural haematoma
Our clinic is located in the Adult Outpatients Department, Campus Centre Building, Prince of Wales Hospital (building 16 on our campus map). Information about how to get to our Randwick campus
Our team specialises in Neurointerventional care:
- Dr Jason Wenderoth
- Dr Andrew Cheung
- Dr Nathan Manning
- Dr Justin Whitley
- Dr Alex McQuinn
We accept patients aged over 16 with any of the conditions listed under 'Our services' above.
Our service is unable to accept paediatric referrals.
Sydney Children's Hospital does not have a Neurointervention outpatients clinic. All patients aged under 16 can be referred to one of our Consultant's private rooms.
Please review our services provided and referral criteria.
All mandatory information must be complete. The referral form ensures that you do not miss any mandatory information to enable a timely and appropriate referral.
Mandatory information for public and private referrals
You may receive a fax requesting a review of your referral if any of the following information is missing:
- Patient details, including full name, date of birth, phone number and Medicare number
- Consultant name (for private referrals)
- Clinic name
- Next of Kin details
- Reason for referral
- Clinical urgency
- Results from investigations.
Private referrals (bulk-billed through Medicare)
All patients have the right to choose to be treated as a public or private patient for outpatient attendances. If your patient chooses to be treated privately and bulk-billed through Medicare, your referral must meet the following criteria:
- You must address the referral to one Consultant from our Specialist team, not the hospital, clinic, outpatient department or JMO
- You must sign and date the referral, and include your provider number and practice address
- You must state the period of referral in months, or refer “indefinitely”
- You must provide this referral on or prior to the appointment date.
We cannot process your referral if it does not meet the above criteria prior to your patient's initial appointment.
Your patient can choose to amend your referral on the day of their initial appointment. If you provide a private referral that is addressed to a Consultant, your patient may choose to:
- Seek treatment from another provider within our team and change the Consultant's name on the referral themselves, or
- Decide to be treated as a public patient for their initial appointment, for which the private referral will be valid.
Please note that it is also inappropriate for our administration team to recommend a Consultant for your patient. We have listed the names and specialties of our Consultants above to help you decide on the most appropriate practitioner.
If your patient needs to be seen urgently, please call the Prince of Wales Hospital switchboard on (02) 9382 2222 and ask to speak with the Neurointervention Registrar.
Who will contact your patient to schedule an appointment?
We will send your patient a letter by post with their appointment details. If their need is urgent, a member of our administrative team will contact your patient by phone.
Who can you contact to follow up on a referral?
You may contact the Department of Neurointervention on (02) 9382 2863 to follow up on a referral.
What is the process if a patient misses or cancels their appointment?
If your patient needs to change or cancel their appointment they should phone the Department of Neurointervention on (02) 9382 2736.
We are a Medicare service. You must provide a referral that is addressed to one of our Specialist team if your patient wishes to be bulk-billed.