Advance Care Planning - Planning ahead for serious illness or injury

How we can help you

If you are living in the local community and are over 45, we can meet with you and discuss options and plans should the time come when you are unable to speak for yourself due to illness or injury.  

Our specialised Nurse can visit you at home to talk to you, your family or carer, and your Doctor about:

  • who would make decisions for you regarding your health, and
  • the type of medical care you would want to receive if you became seriously ill or injured.

Advance Care Planning is all about discussing your wishes before you become ill. It gives you and those close to you the opportunity to talk about your values, experiences, fears and preferences for care and treatment.

Like making a will and appointing a power of attorney or enduring power of attorney for financial matters, advance care planning may simply be a part of planning for the future.

Enduring Power of Attorney authority only applies to financial decisions. It does not extend to making healthcare decisions on behalf of someone else. The person who does this is called an Enduring Guardian.

To use this service you must be:

  • over 45 years of age
  • must reside in Randwick, Botany, Waverley, Woollahra and parts of City of Sydney Local Government Area

You, your family or local Doctor can make a referral for you to see our Advance Care Planning Nurse.

To make an appointment contact the Northern Network Access and Referral Centre (NNARC) on 9369 0400 and our nurse will call you to make a convenient time to visit you in your home.

Please discuss your wishes to develop a plan with your local Doctor. 

What happens if I have an appointment and will not be available for the visit?

If you are not available for an appointment please contact the NNARC referral centre.

There is a waiting time for this service. Usually between 2 - 6 weeks from date of referral.

Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak and then ask the interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and the healthcare professional you want to speak with.

Prince of Wales Hospital is a teaching hospital and you may be asked for your permission for a student to be present during the visits. You have the right to say no. If you do so, this will not influence the treatment or services available to you.

Public education sessions can be arranged by request. Please contact 02 9382 2984.