Social Work Department
How we can help you
Our Social Work team is available to support you whether you are a patient or a family member, friend or carer.
We offer counselling and practical assistance to help you deal with any issues or concerns that may arise from an illness or being in hospital. This includes:
- Adjusting to illness and change
- Anxiety about your hospital stay
- Stress and distress
- Planning for how you will cope when you leave hospital
- Help at home after you leave hospital
- Family wellbeing while you are in hospital
- Information about community services including psychological support
- Coping with loss, grief and trauma
- Supporting you if you have a terminal illness
- Information about services including Centrelink, Housing NSW, Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) and Work Cover
- Parking concessions for POWH&CHS Metro car park if you have a valid Centrelink payment
- ComPacks – community packages that facilitate the safe and early discharge of eligible patients from hospital by providing access to a short-term package of care to help regain independence and prevent re-admission to hospital.
We can also provide you with information about other agencies and services.
If you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background you may want to speak with our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer who is available Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm and can be contacted via the Hospital switchboard on 9382 2222.
All our services are provided free of charge.
We have a Norfolk Island Clinical Coordinator based at our Hospital in Randwick who is able to provide support to Norfolk Island residents when they come to Prince of Wales Hospital for treatment. Please contact the Social Work Department on 9382 2372 to speak with the Norfolk Island Clinical Coordinator.
Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak and then ask the interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an interpreter, and the healthcare professional you want to speak with.
Community Social Worker
Community Health, Assessment and Therapy Team, Randwick
We provide support for people who are over 65 and are frail and people with a disability.
Tel: 9369 0400
Northern Network Access Referral Centre
We accepts referrals to Randwick/Botany Community Health Services
Tel: 9369 0400
Eastern Suburbs Mental Health Service
Tel: 1800 011511 (24 hours/7 days a week)
Domestic Violence Hotline
Tel: 1800 656 463 (24 hours/7 days a week)
For emergencies: 000
Link 2 Home Homeless Persons Information Line
Tel: 1800 152 152
Sydney Sexual Health Clinic
Tel: 9382 7440
Drug and alcohol outpatient service
Tel: 9332 8777
My Aged Care
Tel: 1800 200 422
Elder Abuse Hotline
Tel: 1800 628 221