Youth Cancer Service
How we can help you
The Sydney Youth Cancer Service (YCS) is a specialised treatment and support service for adolescents and young adults with cancer, aged between 15 - 25 years and their families.
We recognise young people are faced with changes, challenges and developmental issues from the effects of cancer and cancer treatments particularly in the areas of:
- Future fertility
- Diet and nutrition
- Body development, body image and cognitive function
- Sex and sexuality
- Relationships and independence from family
- Impacts on school and university, work and peer groups
Our services are delivered by a specilaist team who meet regularly with a range of experts from different fields and discuss the diagnosis and treatment of each person to ensure the best care can be provided.
The team is led by Head of Department Staff Specialist, Dr Antoinette Anazado and her team which includes:
- Clinical Nurse Consultants (specialist nurses)
- Social Worker
- Clinical Psychologist.
Where is your care delivered
A dedicated space is provided onsite in the Nelune Comprehensive Cancer Centre to provide a break and a more informal atmosphere for our people with cancer to relax and get away when they are visiting the fhospital or cancer centre.
The Sydney YCS is part of a network of Youth Cancer Service in NSW and across other states with funding provided by the Australian Government and State/ Territory health departments. Canteen, the national not-for-profit youth cancer agency, administers the Youth Cancer Services funding arrangements in each state and provides a range of support services to AYAs, their siblings and families.
You must have a referral letter from your doctor to be seen by Youth Cancer Service, please request your doctor send us your referral letter together with all relevant test results.
Once we receive your completed referral we will send you a letter detailing your appointment date, time and what to bring.
If you would like to change or cancel an appointment, please telephone Sydney Youth Cancer Services on ph: 9382 5111.
- Your current Medicare card, any Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card
- Insurer details like workers compensation, public liability or third party
- Your Private Health Fund Membership card if you are currently insured with a private health fund
- Recent X-rays or medical images and their reports, if the doctor has requested you bring them
- Activities to keep you entertained while waiting (for example, a book, music player with headphones, crosswords). There is also a television and magazines available in the wait area
Please let us know if you need an interpreter. You can contact us telephoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Tell the operator what language you speak and then ask the Interpreter to set up a telephone conversation between you, an Interpreter, and the healthcare professional you want to speak with.